Friday, February 19, 2010

i'm smitten over the smitten kitchen

Ode to the Smitten Kitchen-

Well....
I've been blogging searching again..yes... and MY favorite blog that I've been frequently visiting..is the smitten kitchen!! All I can say is A-MAZ-ING!!! No really...
This past weekend my brother in law asked me to make his birthday cake...his request.. CHOCOLATE-CHOCOLATE cake...
hmmm..I thought..I could use my fabulous chocolate cake recipe that EVERYONE raves about...or... this could be the perfect opportunity ...
--the opportunity I've been waiting for-- 
 to try out that recipe Deb, from the smitten kitchen, has posted on her site...

There are no words to properly describe how good this cake was..maybe "heavenly" just touches on it's goodness. Let's just say...my husband..the sweet man that he is...made a few extra grocery store runs for me..for EXTRA chocolate. We counted 4 pounds of chocolate for this cake.

A 3 layer cake FILLED w/ chocolate ganache (which I never thought that I really enjoyed the flavor of..but guess what...the scale in my bedroom that reads 2 extra pounds on it this week..tells me otherwise! SO MUCH FOR MAKING MY GOAL WEIGHT...damn chocolate!!) I always thought that ganache was  hard to make. It's not...well maybe it was just the simplicity of this perfect ganache recipe! I can recite it without even looking at the paper!! OR MAYBE it is because I made it so many times!!!! I didn't realize I was going to need so much!! Silly me!!

1 pound of semi-sweet chocolate
1 cup of heavy cream
2 tbsp of sugar (I used 3)
2 tbsp of corn syrup
1/2 stick of unsalted butter

I wish you could taste this cake... the moist dense chocolate filled w/ that smooth thick ganache... so RICH... SO HEAVENLY!!!

Thank you Deb, from the smitten kitchen, for testing out wonderful recipes in your tiny kitchen...and sharing them with the world.

ps. after the party for my brother in law..my mom asked me if this was the recipe from the "gourmet" magazine! She's quite the baker..and knows her stuff!




Print Page

2 comments: