Wednesday, February 10, 2010

PRETZEL RECIPE


Homemade Soft Pretzels

4 teaspoons yeast
1 teaspoon sugar
1 1/4 Cup warm water
5 Cups flour
1/2 Cup sugar
1 1/2 teaspoon salt
1 Tablespoon canola oil

10 cups hot boiling water
3/4 cups baking soda
salt (or we like cinn. and sugar too!)
1 egg (beat it)


In a your mixer dissolve 1 teaspoon of sugar and the yeast in the warm water.  Let it sit for 5 minutes until the water starts to bubble a bit.  Add salt, 1/2 cup sugar, oil, yeast, and 1 cup of the flour.

Add the rest of the flour 1 cup at a time. The dough turns into a very dense ball. Mix until the dough forms together. (The recipe says to mix for 8 minutes..mine came together pretty quickly)
Let the dough rise for 1 hour.

Preheat your oven to 450 degrees.

Punch down the dough & divide it into 12 equal parts.
** Place each piece on a sprayed cookie sheet and let them rest for 10 minutes.




Fill your pot up with 10 cups of water and add the baking soda. Let is come to a full boil.

While the water is heating up, roll each dough piece into a long thin rope. Then twist it into a pretzel shape. 




Put each piece (one at a time) into the boiling water for 30 seconds. (this is important! I think this may be where we messed up last time)

Place on a sprayed cookie sheet and brush the beaten egg over the top. Sprinkle with salt.
Bake for 8 minutes. (mine took a little longer)

****OR you could use cinnamon and sugar after you cook them. (you will need to brush your pretzel with butter then put the cinnamon and sugar on top..so good!)

YUMMY!

8 comments:

  1. I will have to make these with my kids this weekend! They will love it!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will have to try these .. thanks for the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  3. theUngourmet-- it was a fun way to spend time together in the kitchen! My older one even helped put them in the pot..very carefully though-- (once or twice) Write back & let me know how it turns out!!

    sasha- let me know how it goes!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Now I'm really going to have to find out when Pretzel Sunday is this year. I'd love to share this recipe link with my blog visitors. Living in Central PA, has gotten me spoiled when it comes to soft pretzels. But, the Amish stand is closed for the season. I may just have to try my hand at it. Thanks for sharing and thanks for the twitter follow...Bookmarked!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am so delighted that you found me so that I could discover your WONDERFUL blog as well. Soooo many terrific recipes here with tempting photos. Oh my goodness, the food fantasies I am having. What a terrific blog!

    Of all the breads I've baked I've never done pretzels, for some reason they intimidate me. I think it's the boiling thing, LOL. What a goofy thing to be intimated by, but it's the same reason I don't do bagels. Well one of these I have to get over myself because we love pretzels! Love seeing your children involved.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi K, "grabbed" this link for a post I did today, It's Pretzel Sunday!!! Thanks for sharing...

    Still getting that message. Maybe it's me...

    ReplyDelete
  7. I hope you all have as much fun as I did w/ this recipe and enjoyed the great taste of these fabulous pretzels!

    ReplyDelete