Wednesday, March 17, 2010

white bean chili

 
I found this fabulous recipe on aggies kitchen! (thank you aggie!)WOW! It really turned out great! My husband and son LOVED it! So for all of you chili lovers, check this out!
 (I had to use what I had in my kitchen... I forgot a few things while I was out grocery shopping..but it came out great with my substitutions! That's the great thing about cooking! You can change it up..play with it & use what you have) It might look like alot of ingredients..but it really isn't! It comes together quickly. If you have leftover chicken from another meal, then you will save yourself a step!



Here's what ya need:
 1 lb tomatillos (green tomato's)
1/2 lb poblano chiles (dark green hot peppers)
2 tsp olive oil
1 1/2 cups finely chopped yellow onion
1 TB minced garlic
1 tsp Mexican oregano (use regular oregano if you don’t have Mexican--I used fresh sprigs from my garden)
3 cups chicken stock (if you want a thicker broth.. you are going to need 4)
2 cans Cannellini Beans, with liquid (whoops..I grabbed a red bean and a white bean, used one of each)
2 TB chopped fresh cilantro ( i forgot to buy the cilantro..but I used kale instead!)
2 cups cooked, shredded chicken
1/2 a pound of browned ground chicken (i added this to mine to get more meat into it)
4 cups chard, stemmed, cut 1 inch wide strips
salt and pepper, to taste

1. Preheat oven oven to 400°F. ( I put mine at 450..and checked while they cooked)

2. Place tomatillos and poblano chiles on sheet pan. (Make sure you peel the tomatillos..mine still had the leaves on them. Roast in oven until peppers have blistered and tomatillos are soft. Remove from oven. Place tomatillos in blender. Once poblanos are cool enough to handle, remove seeds and skins. Add to blender (or food processor), blend until smooth. (if you want the chili to be on the spicy side...leave some seeds...I took all of them out and it had just the right amount of kick..not too spicy)
 
3. Heat olive oil in a sauté pan. Add onions, cook until caramelized, approximately 5 minutes. Add garlic and oregano, cook until aromatic.
 
4. Add tomatillo mixture, cook for 10 minutes until slightly thickened.
 
5. Add stock, beans and their liquid. Bring to simmer, cook for 20 minutes.
 
6. Add cilantro (or kale), chicken and chard. Bring to a simmer, cook for 10 minutes. Adjust seasoning with salt and pepper.

My son and husband like to sprinkle a little cheese on top of their chili.
I also, used aggie's suggestion, and put the chili on top of cooked quinoa. Protein packed dinner! 

ENJOY!





Print Page

1 comment:

  1. Hi! So when's your race? Is it your first? I really like the Honey Stinger chews in pomegranite. They're tasty and easy to chew while running. If you google them, you can find where you can buy them locally or order them online. I've tried Sports Beans too but they were harder to chew. I refuse to gu! Your chili looks yum. I just made a chicken chili I loved!

    ReplyDelete