Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Banoffee Pie ...take 3

Yesterday, a friend told me that it takes him about 3 tries when trying out a new recipe-- before getting it exactly how he wanted it..adjusting..changing ...creating...tweaking...
SO three tries is about what it took for this silly pie.
Here's the story: One day or.. was it night?... one of my daughter's teachers informed me about this pie...."banoffee pie" she said... "is Sooo good... it has a graham cracker crust, toffee... banana.." OOOH STOP right there.. my brain kind of turned off for a moment..when I heard the word..BANANA. I stood there in the kitchen of the pub and all I could see was her facial expressions as she described this so called delicious Banoffee pie--- I couldn't really hear the rest of the ingredients.
 I remember one thing...
she said she had it either in England..or was it Ireland??
So of course at one of the classes I brought up the pie again to her teacher..because by that time I had even forgotten the name...all I could remember was that it had banana's in it! haha.

Banoffee Pie... I searched high and low, asked friends...what was this Banoffee Pie?? No one really knew what it was. Well...I found it one day on the internet. Apparently, it originated in England at a restaurant called "The Hungry Monk", in 1972. It seems as though this pie is a huge hit over there. The recipe is even posted online!!

My Banoffee Pie adventure had begun. I found a bunch of recipes including the one from the Hungry Monk website. The recipes I found all tried to stay true to the original. The Hungry Monk recipe calls for a "shortcrust", which basicly contains 3 things, fat( I used butter), salt, flour and cold water. It is a nice light flakey crust. The kicker in this pie is the toffee. YES, homemade toffee. It's not as difficult as you would think..maybe a bit dangerous..boiling unopened cans of sweetened condensed milk for 3 hours!!! (safety first.. you have to make sure that you add water to the pot and keep the cans submerged the entire time! otherwise..well they could EXPLODE!)  I boiled at least 6 cans of sweetened condensed milk in the last few days...to make this famous toffee. FINALLY, yesterday, after making 3 pies with runny toffee, I figured out what was going wrong.
NO TOP ON MY BOILING POT.
YES!!! 
Can you believe that???
I boiled the cans of milk for 3 hours without a top on my pot- which caused the toffee to not completely thicken.
HOWEVER, I did not realize this until last night when we cut into one banoffee pies to have a tasting! I had even given one pie to one of my favorite customers...who's father LOVES banoffee and tries to find it wherever he goes. So when we cut into ours...I was a bit upset!!! It tasted great but...it was runny!
DISAPPOINTED...I tried again.. boiled three more cans with the top on and it worked.
A nice thick, dark, creamy toffee!



Instead of using the shortcrust, for this pie, I used a graham cracker crust... it's a little bit sweeter.
All the of the ingredients make this pie a success...  the layer of toffee, banana and homemade whipped cream...this pie is sure to be a hit at any party or holiday!

I made this pie with the shorbread crust!
RECIPE click here in a few!

0 comments:

Post a Comment