Sunday, January 9, 2011

Vanilla Cake Recipe

For the longest time I have been using this vanilla cake recipe. I thought the vanilla cake from the smitten kitchen's website was the ultimate cake.  It is a "denser" cake. I like to use it on cakes that I am going to be stacking into tiers. AND honestly, I love the texture and taste of it. It's buttery...vanilla-y and moist! 
I decided to look for another vanilla cake recipe to try out, maybe find one that was a little "fluffier". As I took out my cake flour box one day, I noticed a recipe on the back of the box. PERFECT timing! I tried it out...and I think it's MAGICAL! It's light, moist, and yes a little denser than any cake you will get out of a box!  It has a great flavor to it.  Try it out..see what you think... and post right here & let me know!



Vanilla Cake (adapted from king arthur)
Here's what ya need:
2 3/4 cups of cake flour ( I prefer king arthur)
1 2/3 cups of sugar
1 tblsp of baking powder
3/4 cup of unsalted butter (softened)
4 large egg whites plus 1 large egg
1 cup of whole milk
1 tablespoon of madagascar bourbon vanilla

Mix flour, sugar, baking powder in the mixer to blend.  Add the butter and mix into a paste. Add the egg whites, then the entire egg. Scrape down sides and the bottom of the bowl in between.
In a separate bowl mix the milk with the vanilla . Add the milk mixture 1/3 at a time to the egg mixture. Make sure you scrape down the sides after each addition.. Mix one to two minutes until batter is light and fluffy.

Recipe makes two 8" or 9" inch cakes. (I used 8 inch pans) You could also use this recipe to make 24 cupcakes.

Bake the cake in a greased pan on 350 for about 25-30 minutes (it took mine 30 minutes).
Cupcakes...20 minutes.

I frosted this cake with homemade chocolate frosting, then drizzled semi-sweet chocolate ganache over it. Just to add a little special touch--- I decorated it with a white chocolate heart!
Delicious, moist, light, vanilla...oh so good that you will definitely ask for a second slice.
My new favorite Vanilla cake!!!




Print Page




3 comments:

  1. Thanks! I hope you give it a try!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tried the recipe and it was delicious. However, the texture is more of a bread than cupcake. BUt still delicious and I plan to have with my morning coffee. :)

    ReplyDelete