Sunday, August 21, 2011

Zucchini Quiche

As far back as I can remember, summer was always about family, good food, the lake and cape cod.  My mom and my grandmother are both two of the best cooks I know. Whether it's a full meal or something sweet, they know exactly what they are doing. It's funny how so many of my childhood memories revolve around food!
I remember my grandmother making delicious fresh food, from tomato salad with tomatoes from my grandfather's garden, fresh tomato sauce with beans, eggplant parm, friday night homemade pizza, to fried squash flowers...the list goes on. I remember the phone calls we use to get -- they went a little something like this..."Kelli, I made some zucchini quiche today..." (or whatever she had worked on that day) Which most of time meant, I haven't seen you in a while, so please come visit. My grandparents house was never air conditioned (until recently) --but somehow when you sat down at the table, the room seemed so much cooler than anywhere else on a hot day.
I am not sure if this classified as a true quiche.  It's more like a combination of an omelet and a quiche. When you take your first bite you will taste the delicious fresh slices of zucchini, the sweet pieces of onion, and the saltiness from the parm. All of the ingredients work so well together..and fill you up like a mini meal. It tastes so good - you'll defintely want another piece!
Most people I know use a crust when making their quiche's. This recipe is exactly how my grandmother made it... so it's always been  a "quiche" to me. My grandmother has so many recipes, this is one, of a very few, that I have exact measurements for. I can't say that it has been passed down for generations, because it calls for good old Bisquick as an ingredient! That doesn't really matter- what matters is that is tastes really good and brings back good memories of summer treats at her house.
This time, I will be bringing a plate to her.


Zucchini Quiche- can't get any easier than this.. and feel free to switch ingredients in and out!!

3 cups of  zucchini sliced (I used one large zucchini from my garden)
1 chopped onion, ("big" is what the recipe says..I used half of a large red onion..she always used white)
1 cup of Bisquick
4 eggs
1/2 cup oil (I use olive)
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1 tsp parsley
1/4 tsp salt and pepper

Mix all ingredients. Put in well greased pan (9x9-in the picture I used 10x10 it was a little thinner than what my grandmother makes- but it worked.)
Bake in oven at 350 for about 30 minutes.

Enjoy!

Print Page

0 comments:

Post a Comment