Saturday, September 17, 2011

Chocolate Chili Frosting or Fillng

One of my sister's friends asked me to make a cake in the shape of  a chili pepper (for a HOT and SPICY 40th Birthday Party)...the flavors she wanted for the cake included: Chocolate Cake with a Chocolate Chili Filling. At first I thought this idea might be rather disgusting..but during one of our trips to Cape Cod my son (the adventurous foody) decided to try out Chocolate Chili Ice Cream and it became his new favorite flavor.
SO I gave it a go and it turned out pretty tastey...lip smacking, fire burning tastey. The combination of the sweet rich chocolate and the chili really works. First you get the chocolatey goodness taste then.. a few seconds later you get that little kick..that spice in the back of your throat. It kind of catches you off guard...and then your lips start burning a little!!! Ha.
Ok so I took a classic chocolate frosting recipe, that I use all the time- from which my mom gave me (It's from one of her very old Bon Appetit Magazine's) and kicked it up a major notch in the heat department.

Here's what ya need:
2 (1 ounce) unsweetnened chocolate baking squares
1 (1 ounce) semisweet chocolate baking squares
1 cup of butter (unsalted)
4 cups of powdered sugar (I use a little more)
1/4 cup of unsweetened cocoa
1/4 cup of milk
2 teaspoon of vanilla (one will work just fine)
4 tablespoons of Chili Powder (you might want to start off with 2 or 3 tablespoons and work your way up...depending on how hot you would like this to be)

Melt the chocolate squares in the microwave. (I usually put  it in for 25 seconds at a time stirring in between- Be CAREFUL the bowl will get hot) Let it cool for about 5-10 minutes.
Mix the butter (in your mixer) until creamy.
Next add the melted chocolate, sugar, chili powder (*start off small!),cocoa, and vanilla and milk...mix away until you have a nice thick frosting constistancy. *I would start off with the lower amount of chili powder..maybe 2 tablespoons and work your way up until you get the heat you are looking for.
You can then taste your frosting to see if you would like to add more chili powder.

Good Luck..have a glass of milk handy :)

Print Page

0 comments:

Post a Comment