Monday, May 7, 2012

Swiss Meringue Buttercream


I've always wanted to try out swiss meringue buttercream...but have ALWAYS been scared. The thought of egg whites in frosting made me nervous for some reason...until I made a batch for some special first communion cupcakes this weekend (which ultimately ended up being many batches!!!! Vanilla & Strawberry!). All I can say is that I'm not scared anymore!!! Get your arm muscles ready because there is a ton of whisking involved in this recipe. Hope you're focused..because careful attention is taken during the entire process of making this delicate buttercream. It's well worth it. The texture is different from regular buttercream as well as the taste. My husband thinks it tastes vanilla ice cream!
I had a little swiss meringue left over and decided to try out some ruffles that I have been thinking about for a while! Glad I did! (I ended up making more swiss meringue in the process...well worth it!)
You are going to need alot of eggs for this one!! I'm to blame for the egg shortage in this house... my kids have been reminding me all weekend. ha! ha! (Sorry guys!) I think I went through over 36 eggs!!! CRAZY!
I looked through a bunch of recipes and combined them. This is what worked for me.
Here's what ya need:
4 egg whites
1 1/4 cups of sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons of vanilla
2 3/4 sticks of unsalted butter (room temp)

Here's how to make it:
First warm up your arms with a nice arm stretch... get ready.
Place a double boiler on the stove (or a heat resistent bowl over a pot of simmering water, in my case because we are not fancy here)
Add the eggs whites, sugar and vanilla to your heat resistant bowl.
Heat the egg mixture, while whisking until it reaches 140 degrees and the sugar is completely combined.
Next carefully transfer to your mixer.
Mix on medium speed until stiff peaks form and the mixture has cooled to room temperature. (mine took about 6 minutes)
Lastly, add the butter 1-2 tablespoons at a time. (I cut the butter into chunks ahead of time)
Mix until the butter is blended in completely. (You might want to scrape down the sides a few times in between)
It should look nice and fluffy once it is done!

Have fun!

Print Page

2 comments:

  1. Hey Jess,
    Whisk Whisk Whisk!!! How do you make yours? I probably should have made a double or triple batch :)

    ReplyDelete